Are you ready to take action in Kansas? At the Mainstream Coalition we work hard to get people involved in their own representation, from being informed voters, to being active advocates, to even running for office. At Mainstream Action, you can always find ways to advocate for the priorities we share.
Take Action Now
> Connect with your Kansas Legislators - Click to find your legislators - This action is ongoing, we're always encouraging constituents to connect with their Kansas state legislators. Until the national clearinghouses have updated their lists of who is now a legislator, we are asking you to find who represents you with our own tool, ksleglookup.org.
- Completed. Help sustain Governor's Kelly's veto of anti-trans legislation! Gov. Kelly vetoed SB 55, but now groups like the Family Policy Alliance of Kansas are pressuring lawmakers to overturn her veto. We need you to let those legislators know they have our support for sustaining the veto and keeping Kansas a safe place for all kids. Take both of these actions! Click here to thank these legislators who voted against SB55. These legislators voted against the bill when it came up on the floor, and are being pressured to change their position. Let them know you are grateful for their vote! Click here to ask these legislators to sustain the veto. These legislators chose not to vote on the bill when it came up on the floor. They are being pressured to vote to overturn the veto! Ask them to come down on the side of compassion.
- Completed. Stop the bills that would make voting more difficult! These bills would make it harder to vote by absentee ballot, and would take for the Legislature all powers to affect elections from the Executive branch and the Courts, as well as hamstring the Secretary of State's ability to make needed changes. Our partner, Loud Light, has an action available for these bills.
- Completed. Stop the tax giveaway for the rich! This bill has lived in many guises, for several years, but always comes down to the same thing, giving tax breaks to Kansans who earn high incomes, and to corporations that do business in Kansas. Low and middle income Kansans do not benefit from this bill, and the Governor vetoed it for that reason. Our partner, Kansas Action for Children, has an action available for this bill.
- Completed. Encourage Gov. Kelly to veto anti-trans legislation! Click to send an email to Kansas Governor Laura Kelly asking her to veto SB 55, the bill to discriminate against trans girls and women in school sports. This bill passed the Kansas Legislature, but not with enough votes to survive a veto. Your action is needed now!
- Completed. Ask Gov. Kelly to veto voter suppression bills! Click to send an email to Kansas Governor Laura Kelly asking her to veto HB 2183 and HB 2332. These bills will make absentee voting harder, and take some election powers for the Legislature alone, taking them from the Executive and Judicial branches.
- Completed. Stop anti-trans legislation! Click to send an email to your #ksleg-islators asking them to oppose SB 55, the bill to discriminate against trans girls and women in school sports. This bill has been brought to a vote without a hearing in the House, and excluding opposing voices from deliberation. Your action is needed now!
- Completed. Stop legislation sending tax dollars to private schools! Click to send an email to your #kslegislators asking them to oppose SB 175, the newly named bill to expand and create new avenues for school vouchers. This bill would boldly take money directly from public school funding, and funnel it to private and religious schools, while refusing to hold those schools ot the same standards as public schools. This undermines public education, and the children enrolled in these private schools are not given any guarantee of the quality of their education. Your action is needed now!
- Completed. Stop a gun bill that makes us less safe! This bill would allow Kansans as young as 18 to carry concealed, loaded weapons, even those still in high school. It also allows people from other states to carry concealed guns in our communities without regard to their training.
- Completed. Women's Reproductive Health - Until 9 am on Friday, January 15, 2021, we have an action to email the Kansas Legislature's House Federal and State Affairs Committee to ask them to oppose HCR 5003, a resolution to place an amendment to the Kansas Constitution on a future statewide ballot. This amendment would strip from the Constitution the right of every Kansas woman to make her own health care decisions, instead giving that right to legislators.
- Completed. Protect Reproductive Health Choice - Ongoing until the bills are passed or defeated, we are asking you to email or otherwise contact your KS legislators to ask them to oppose HCR 5003/SCR 1602, resolutions to place an amendment to the Kansas Constitution on a future statewide ballot. This amendment would strip from the Constitution the right of every Kansan to make their own reproductive health care decisions, instead giving that right to legislators.